Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Where Did All The Dollar a Coins Go?


I hardly ever get dollar coins for change, although they are still in circulation.  Since they are in circulation where did they all go since there is no practical purpose for them.

Are they in coin jars in houses around the country waiting for the practical application for using them?


Monterey parking is a combination of lots with obtain a ticket and put in dash, and street side meters with both credit card and coin operated.  


We were looking for coins to feed the coin-operated parking meter and we cleaned out our quarters so I saw a change machine and decided to go get some quarters.

To my surprise it only dispenses dollar coins and not quarters.

Just possibly Monterey and other cities across the country found a market for using dollar coins in their parking control systems.


And now I know where the dollar coins went.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.con



6 comments:

  1. I use dollar coins for bus fare. It's easier than feeding in dollar bills. When I tried to get a roll from my bank they didn't have any. I asked then to get some for me and it was a big hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph,

      I'm not surprised about trying to get a roll of dollar coins. I can see how they would be easier to use for public transportation.

      Brent

      Delete
  2. The SBA was so similar in size to the quarter, that many people let the govt know of their disgust. I was working 7-11 in Colorado and more times than I could count, someone would rush in and hand me 3 quarters and run out with a paper. I'd look at the cions and if I could catch them, return the overage.

    Most times I couldn't and kept the excess. One day I had $17 in overage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. In thinking about it when I used to get SBA coins I would separate them so I wouldn't confuse them.

      Brent

      Delete
  3. There are also dollar coins with presidents on them. Those look kind of golden. I've gotten them as change from vending machines at public transit terminals. Whenever I use one, I point out the the person taking my money that it is a dollar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaise,

      Oh yes. Since the public didn't take to them at least they got used by parking and transit systems.

      Brent

      Delete