Monday, April 29, 2019

SE GTG 2019 - Alabama Under The Stars

 My yearly visit to see friends at the SE GTG is always a fun stop.  It’s a nice slow pace and great company with some wonderful people.



The wildlife management folks are so wonderful by mowing the field and even bringing us dry wood.  How could you ask for more.

Here I am parked in the drying field that was quite soggy when I arrived.



When not raining, we have morning and evening camp fires.

One night Dan looked up the passing of the space station so our eyes were to the sky and there it passed over us.



Here I was starting the fire and I’m using a pocket blow tube that Susan gave me as a gift.

Once you get something to smolder, you can blow through the collapsing tube to direct air like a bellows would to accelerate the fire.

It worked great.



A 3 mile hike with Jane took us past fields with flowers that are often used for corn planting to attract birds.  You can hike for about 8 miles straight south on a dirt road with no vehicles.  It also makes for a great bike route too.



I parked next to this other field on the drive out of the WMA.



In the spring in the south you need to be ever mindful for severe weather including tornados.  You need to monitor the weather every day.



Here we are in a like of severe thunderstorms.



If your lucky you may find a few wonderful sunsets over the Tennessee River.

You also get to meet locals that come to fish the River.

There are also the passing of barges bringing empty barges up stream and loaded ones down stream.



The water height is regulated with a dam about 25 miles down stream.  The water can fluctuate by at least 12” morning to evening.  It is possible to have high water but ourbproblem was rain making a soggy field to camp on.



Above I made chicken soup with fresh veggies and chicken.



I even made croutons for the soup.  We didn’t have many at dinner to share it but Jane and I had more than enough to eat.

It was another great year to see old friends and meet a few new ones.  Being from the north I enjoy the southern discussions.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment