Sunday, April 21, 2019

Fort Smith, Arkansas NHS

Fort Smith National Historic Site is in Fort Smith, Arkansas.



I’m 3 days out of Utah making my way east and I have only driven through Arkansas.  What a better time to stop than on a nice spring day.



At one time this was the edge of the western wilderness and lawlessness.  Here stands the Federal Court for the land where justice was discharged.

The beautiful Redbuds in bloom.



The inside of the courthouse is now a museum and my Senior National Park Pass got me in for free.



Posters of movies made from stories from the history here.



The basement was the Federal Jail. Waiting for trial or execution.



The interpretive items hand on the second floor gallery.



The courtroom.



Now outside checking out the gallows.



I wondered how the trap door dropped on the gallows.



Down by the Arkansas River and first location of the fort, no longer standing.



The stores building - here is was where supplies were stored for the area forts.



Inside the stores building.



The train station is no longer there but here is a picture of what it was like as a hub to the west.

I encourage all travelers to check out other federal sites other than National Parks.  National Historic Sites, National Monuments, and National Wildlife Areas are three well worth seeing.

I bet there is one near you.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment