Thursday, April 18, 2019

Saying Goodbye And Heading East



I spent the month of March exploring, touring, and hiking with two great friends, Joanne (and Cafe her service dog) and Susan.  It was so much fun and we saw so much.  

Being the sel designated cook for the group for the month, the ladies took me out to eat to say thanks for my efforts.  They made me feel great about every meal I made.  It was fun and their friendship was the reward.

Leaving, having spent so much time doing fun things every day, isn’t easy, but life moves on and I need to start heading home as I leave the two to do some morectracels after I leave.

Above is a rock formation in northeast AZ Navajo Land as I drive south to Gallup, NM



The land changes as I headed south as I gained elevation there is snow on the mountains.



So, from Utah to Arizona, to New Mexico.



Then on to Texas, where I stayed in Amarillo for the night in a truck stop.  



Just west of Amarillo they are putting more wind turbines every year I go by.

I got my first real shower at the truck stop in over a month, dinner at Denny’s, and sat with the truck drivers in the truck stop lounge, doing my laundry.  I put on a lot of miles today.



First sign of morning light I was up headed east towards Oklahoma City (OKC).

I couldn’t see well in the dark so I pulled over to check headlights and one was burnt out.  I drove with my fog lights and one headlight until I stopped for supplies at a Walmart just west of OKC.  Down the street was an auto parts store where I got two new headlight bulbs.  They were only a little brighter than stock but I wanted both lightsvto be the same so I planned to replace both.



I decided to splurge a bit and I stayed at a Army Corp of Engineers campground in Eastern OK, south of Tulsa.

Here I met a couple with a motor home.  He was originally from MA and also had a Tacoma.  He came over to say hi and I gave him the still good headlight that I swapped out, in case he needed it.

That’s two days done headed east.  I’m a couple days ahead of schedule and I decide to visit some areas I haven’t been before as I make my way to the Chicago area to see my aunt, that I see once a year.

After Chicago, it on to the Southeast GTG in Alabama before my drive home to MA.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed seeing you in Alabama. Sorry that I didn't get the chance to say 'bye' but I understand you leaving as the storm was persistent. I had thought that I would stay until Sunday, but I left Saturday. With the storm overhead for a day, I finished reading my book and didn't enjoy the 'cooler' weather. Thanks for updating us on the storm around the campfire.

    ReplyDelete