In my Class B Campervan there was a combustible gas detector. When I moved to my Prius I didn’t use a combustible gas detector as I figured I didn’t use propane to cook or heat, just butane to cook.
Now with my Tacoma/FWC I installed a combustible gas detector as soon as I built it. I bought the one below from Amazon. Although it had a low rating, I think the issue was related to operator error. I bought this one as it is powered by USB all the time, like my compressor fridge, bothpowered by my solar.
Well, today having a combustible gas detector payed off. I drove to a Trailhead about 25 miles away and when I was standing outside my camper I could hear an alarm sounding.
I opened the camper door and noticed it was the combustible gas detector in alarm. I immediately thought of propane to my awave3 heater but quickly found it wasn’t. It was from my butane stove.
Above the combustible gas detector is located just off the floor where the propane hose feeds the Wave 3 heater.
So this is what happened. I forgot to release the butane fuel tank from feeding fuel to the setting knob.
In the picture above I’m pointing to the lever that engages the butane tank. Up like in the picture the tank is disengaged. Down the tank is engaged.
I have netting on the front of my cabinets in my camper. The butane stove is facing the netting on my top shelf. While going down the dirt road the netting g must have caught the control valve turning it partially on. Since the butane tank was engaged it started flowing butane.
At sometime there was enough butane fuel that set off the alarm.
I was so happy to have a combustible gas detector for my safety. I live in my camper for four months and mistakes/accidents can happen.
Seriously consider one if you don’t have one. It could save your life or someone you care about.