Friday, March 8, 2019

Exploring The Nautilus

North of Page, AZ in Southern Utah is the Nautilus rock formation in this canyon below.  The Nautilus is the long white rock in the center of the picture.



What makes this visit isn’t just the Nautilus, but the whole canyon area.



About half way down the length of the Nautilus is this water carved swirling hole cut right through the center of the rock.



Watermust have swirled around and around for thousands of years.



Here is a view from the other side.



I guess it’s time to put my picture in one of my blogs.  





Above is my Nautilus hike.  I first climbed the side mountain before heading into the canyon where the Nautilus is.  Then I climbed the side of the mountain to the other side.  Lots of others things to see and enjoy.



It is so great to see the variety of rock formations and just in one area.



I seem to be drawn to sandstone layering as in this picture above.  I rack my brain to try to figure out what caused the layering to change direction considering I think it’s all sediment.  



This area is know for its strange rock formations and the area of the Nautilus doesn’t disappoint.



I have about 30 great pictures but I need to stop adding them so my blog posts are not that long.  I just want to give you a taste of the variety that is in this area.



Nature sure provides more shapes and sizes of stones at every turn.



Up high on the cliff on the south side hidden in a small canyon is this stovepipe.

If you are ever in the Page, AZ area I highly recommend this stop just up US89 over the Utah Border.  Take your time to climb around looking for these and other formations in the area.



The day I went, where the parking area is noted on Google, was blocked by a wash that had flowed out from the Nautilus area eroding the road leaving 2 foot drops on where the road passes through.

It’s hard to figure the drop caused by the previously running water.  Large 4x4 trucks could easily navigate the drop and climb on the other side. 

I parked on the side of the road before the wash and walked in.  I suspect the BLM will be by after the winter rains to regrade the road.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment