Friday, March 18, 2016

Arches National Park - Part 2 (Sand Dune And Broken Arches)



As I mentioned in my last post about Arches National Park, I have broken up my visit to the park, and the various arches I visited, into a number of posts.  

I visited the park on Thursday, 3/17/16  (Day 74)

Further out on Park Road and getting close to the end is a pullout to see Sand Dune Arch and Broken Arch.

Above is Sand Dune Arch and this arch is very close to the parking area, although walking in the loose sand is a bit of work.


Adjacent to the Sand Dune Arch is this sandstone rock that reminded me of some animated movie where a rock would come to life and start talking.  

I'm hoping others can see the mouth nose and eyes.


About 1/2 mile walk across the open land on a nice path is Broken Arch.  Although many arches have cracks in the arch this one definitely appears to be closer to the end of its arch life.  

I still chose to walk and sit under it believing I won't be that unlucky to have the arch fail while I'm under it.


While sitting on the bottom of the arch there is a nice view of the distant snow covered mountains.


Here is the arch hike using the AllTrails App and you can see the return hike (one-way) and how level the hike is.

My return hike was more than a half mile as I took a spur to view an area of the hills to the east of Sand Dune Arch.

The Park literature states that there are over 2000 arches in the park.  They are not all accessible to view.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment