Thursday, January 22, 2015

Florida's Toll Roads


VS



I wasn't going to rant again this year about SunPass system in FL & I won't cover the same issues I brought up last year in my blog,  what I will do is cover what happened to me today to and from Datona.

I drove from Leesburg to Daytona and from Leesburg I travel on "Florida's Turnpike and will use this toll road to go to West Palm Beach tomorrow.  Knowing I was going to use the turnpike/toll road I logged on my SunPass account I got last year and made sure my Prius was listed and funds were available.

Today - no issue on the turnpike.  I got to the East/West highway as a shortcut to I4 to Daytona and it was a toll road too.

This toll road uses EPass, so since I didn't have an EPass and wondered why Florida didn't just have one system.

I paid the $1.00 and $1.25 tolls in cash to go the 8 or so miles by stopping in the cash only lane.  On the way back I paid the $1.25 and when I got to the $1.00 toll to pay the $1.00 cash and the attendant wouldn't take my money.  She said you have SunPass so you don't have to pay cash as it was already deducted from your account. The light was green saying GO.

I replied that's not what the sign says (SunPass Accepted) and quickly followed by how am I supposed to know this?  By now the traffic was backing up behind me so I gave it up on pressing logic on the attendant and chocked it up to yet another example of the State Of Florida is messed up when it comes to their toll system.

Oh, they got me again this year!  The tolls I stopped and paid cash at and the attendant took it, I had also paid electronically, therefore paying 3 tolls twice.

Last year the SunPass autopay toll booth failed to count my quarters correctly and I had to keep feeding quarters to get through the gate.  I guess this is makes up for Florida not having a state income tax.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment