Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 15 - Last Day at Hog Pen Landing / Battlefield / Fire


The cold front came through this am but we were still warm this am at 52 degrees.

Last day in camp!

I bet by now you will not forget the name Hog Pen Landing.  I won't!

It was a good time meeting up with like minded vandwelling people.  As I am sure you are getting from me is that I enjoyed the visit. 

As usual I got up early and was off to McDonalds in down town Lake City about 10 miles away.  The McDonalds Preacher was there again with one of his followers.  You can learn s lot about scriptures in this McDonalds.

As usual I had my college class to do a couple things with, download podcasts and download apps.  Since I only have a 5 Mb data plan and I am on track to use it all for the month I don't have enough left to watch this weeks Girls, so I set up to watch it on McDonalds WIFI.  I multiplex doing mail and such while watching the show.


Then it was off to play disc golf at the same place as yesterday, but with a bonus.  It was such a good course it was worth a second try.

decided that jogging the course would be a good break from walking it and add a challenge, reduce the time as I had other things to do.  So I tossed the disk from the pad and run to the disc and throw it again and run and continue this to the basket and do it all over again for 9 holes  I've done this before and I get a bit more exercise which is good.

While jogging the 5th fairway I hear someone yell to me.  I turn and it is a worker in the side of the road chipping brush and he throws a disc to me.  Nice throw too.  




A bit dirty but no big dings from hitting things and no name or phone number.  Interesting saying on the bottom too!

The worker found it on the other side of the road that abuts the course.  I added it to my travel collection.  I did throw it a few times on the remaining holes and it threw well.

I stopped at Walmart for some shared items for later at camp on the way to Olustee Battlefield that is on the same Nationsl Forest Land we are camping on.


It's not a big attraction as attractions go, but it was close and I get a bit of southern history.  This battle during the Civil War was to the Confederates a decisive win over the Union.  The battle certainly went to the Confederates, but it is because the Union Forces left after the Battle.  The Union General leaves with his troops and two regiments stayed, one being a Massachusetts Regiment.  These two regiments fought the Confederate army by themselves and did well.  When they noticed their Genrral had left for Jacksonville, they left the battlefield shooting backwards as they walked away.  The Confederates never went after them.  I got all this from the movie they have playing in the building.


They haven't updated to a larger flat screen yet.  People thought my 36 tube TV was small until upgraded this year.


Outside there is a monument to the battle.

The air was filled with smoke and I could see a colum of smoke while coming down the road to the site, so I asked the ranger and he confirmed ti was a controlled burn.  

I drove by where they were burning on way back to camp.


Here is what the controlled burn looked like from the camp.  They have Federal Firefighters controlling it.  They have small 4 wheel drive forestry trucks painted green.

When I got back to camp it had warmed to 62 so I warmed water and washed up.

Then I was off to see Lynn who drives this 1991 Toyota Campervan.  I had talked with her in the am about her rig and she has a problem with the interior door handle had fallen off the side entrance door.  I offered to look at it.  Together we took it apart and I have her a suggestion on a possible fix by drilling a hole, threading the hole and using a screw and washer to hold the handle and piece that broke off together.  Due to the age she couldn't get the exact parts.  If I was at home I would have all the parts to do it.    


I used up some food for dinner as I will be going to the Atlanta area tomorrow to visit my cousins and my aunt there and will not be cooking for a couple days.

I said my goodbyes at the campfire as I will be up early and in the road at 6 something as I have a 5 hour drive.  After the visit to Atlanta, it's time to head back south and then west along the I10 corridor.

Thanks to Cuzzin Dick, Jayne, Jessie, Rita, Lynn, and Gary for their friendship and company during my visit.

Brent
macaloney@hotmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment