Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 16 - Lake City, FL to Cartersville, GA


It was 6:10 when I left camp this am and I was faced with two road closures getting to US90.  CSX (railroad) had closed the closest two crossings from the National Forest to the main road.  They were replacing the grade crossings.  Yesterday I had to find another way to the camp as they started working on them just after heading out yesterday am.  I used my GPS to find an alternate route to I10 bypassing US90.

Once to I10 I then got on I75 north to Atlanta.  The first exit into Georgia was a Flying-J truck stop that I had planned to stop for a shower.  For $12 I get a private shower with sink and toilet.  I hadent had a shower since Wednesday am.  Each day I would wash up and wash my hair at camp, so a shower with running hot water felt good.

 
There is a dedicated worker who tends the showers that clean them and put out new towels.

When you purchase the shower you are given a number and PIN to use to open the door to the shower room.  You wait to be robo called or are your customer number on the screen telling you which of the 15 showers to go to.  Today I was assigned shower #4.


After my shower & shave I checked out the Flying-J store.  I found a display of baby alligator heads and feet attached to sticks for back scratchers or mounted to leather necklace, I guess to scare woman away.  I figure any woman that would see a guy wearing baby alligator feet around their neck is a real turnoff.


It was time to get back on the road after buying an unsweetened Ice tea to continue my 5 hour drive today.

A couple hours down the road it was time for another stop and a fresh Iced tea at McDonalds and of course podcast downloads.

Back to I75 to Macon and then Atlanta.

 
Cartersville is off I75 northwest of Atlanta on way to Chattanooga, TN.  It is a good size town with some nice architecture.  One I drove by was a vintage Coke building down town that is now a hospice place.

Cousin Ramona lives here and I will be her and her husband Doug's guest for my stay.  My other cousin Veronica, Ramona's sister also lives in the area and she brought over their mother, my Aunt Pam for a nice visit this pm.



Ramona & Doug have two dogs, Sydney & Princess.  Here Sydney and I are friends.  Those that know me will fine this interesting since I don't usually warm to dogs.  Sydney jped up on the chair with me and put her head on my leg.  She is a lap dog!

I decided to spend tomorrow here after looking at the weather and timing to AZ and CA.  I will head south to Mississippi along I1O Monday.

Brent
macaloney@hotmail.coml

 




2 comments:

  1. REAL alligator heads and feet? That is disturbing :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL alligator heads and feet? That is disturbing :(

    ReplyDelete