Saturday, February 23, 2019

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument - Desert View Trail




I don’t pay for camping or a place to stay very often, but when I do it’s usually federal Land.  Organ Pipe Nationsl Monument was one such visit this year.  At $20 per night and only having to pay half, having my senior card, I stayed two nights for a total of $20.

I met up with friends here and we toured the back roads with my friend Joanne’s Jeep. (See previous post on this adventure. “Puerto Blanco Drive, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument”)

Today, I hiked the Desert View Trail that is right off the main campground.  It’s an easy trail and less tan 2 miles, but it gives great views of the area and campground and ground cover seen in the area.



The trail winds up to the top of this small hill where there are plenty of Cactus to see.



You can see from the shadow I cast that it is late in the afternoon.



From the hill top, there was these fine Organ Pipe Cactus.  


(Above is a picture from a google search.)

Off in the distance to the east are the mountains where a park road, Aho Mountain Drive, travels to many sightseeing stops.  The road is in the shape of a balloon with a string attached.  The string portion is two-way and the balloon edge one-way.



Below the hill, is the campground where my Camping spot is.



This picture is my favorite from my visit with the right amount of light, shade mountains and a generous blue sky.

Organ Pipe National Monument is off the main roads, but is well worth a stop to see the beauty.  Don’t pass it by and you will see why I have returned often to visit.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment