Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 36 - 2/21/14 Finishing the Backup Camera & Bike Ride


Today was a so called slow day for activities.  It was 74 deg in La Jolla today with mostly clear skies.  A very nice day to be outside doing things.

I needed to finish the installation of the backup camera in the camper.  In shorts and tee shirt this am I converted my temporary wiring to permanate.

I had to find 12 volt power so I grabbed the camper wiring off the camper battery but in doing so I would have to have a switch to turn the power on/off to use the camera.  I know it would be off when I wanted to use it and would forget to turn it off.  That wouldn't work well at all.

I dug in the cavity over the rear doors where the camera is located and tested out all 20 something wires with ignition off and on and there were no ignition wires to use.  With ignition on and in reverse I did find the reverse light wire and decided to use this green wire for the camera power.



I had wanted to be able to turn on the image while not in reverse but this was not possible.  The whole process took a lot of time.   

I did also decide to make the video signal wireless so I didn't have to fish the 20 foot video cable to the front if the camper. I had bought the wireless kit for the rear camera when I ordered it.

Now it was time go wire the front monitor and wireless video receiver to it This went faster, but couldn't find the reverse wire yet so I hooked it to an ignition connection on the fuse box on the firewall.  Overall it took 3.5 hours to complete the job to solder wire connections and replace interior panels, etc.

It was now time for my exercise for the day.


I will try to give you an idea on the bike ride.  Take this picture of the ocean and rise to the top of Mt. Soledad and it is close to distance and elevation I attempted to ride my bike up.

Of course I road my bike down the hill to down town La Jolla about 3.5 miles and it was a fast ride.


After riding around town I headed back up the hill.  I thought I might be ready to make the hill riding the bike all the way.

I started my climb up the 800 ft mountain  over the 3.5 miles and nearly made it but gave in to leg pain just about 1000 ft from the intersection at the top.  

When I got off my bike to walk the remainder to the light I saw a biker coming up behind me, although a long ways back.  I was standing at the intersection waiting for the light to change when the biker came through the intersection making a right hand turn in front of me.

Oh the guy on the bike was 10 years my senior and blew by me with energy to spare.

I'm not giving up on riding all the way to the top.  I have been hiking and up and down biking so I will try it at least once or twice more before I leave here at the end of next week.

I was back at the house in time to make hot dogs and fruit plate for dinner at granddaughter Madison's request before she left for school this am.



No comments:

Post a Comment