Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Harpers Ferry National Park



On my way north on I81 I decided to get off the interstate and take US 340 through the upper Shenandoah Valley through small towns and eventually north and east to visit my son in MD.

I got to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia and saw the Sign for the National Park and decided to visit.  

Above is a relief sculpture of the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers with Harpers Ferry in the fork.

The National Park entrance is up to the left, just off the Map.



This location is also where the Appalachian Trail meets two other National Trails. 



The National Park offers a view of history with a historic downtown area with some building preserved by the Federal Government, and also Civil War battlefields.



The park service runs, a free for entrants, shuttle bus every 20 minutes down to the town because of the limited parking and to keep the image of the area in the 1800’s.



The preserved buildings maintained by the Park service are on the main road at the point where the two rivers meet.



Just off the street with park buildings, and up the hill is thectown with the town and shops.

I didn’t take a long time downtown, as I wanted to get to my son’s house early afternoon.  Harpers Ferry is a great place to enjoy a bit of our history.

There are many places that pass by to get to my destination each day, and I look forward to seeing them in future travels.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment