Thursday, April 9, 2015

Windy day cooking

(Web photo)

I have encountered many a windy day on my travels like yesterday at Antelope Canyon.  

The wind blew so strong that some of the tour guides had wraparound glasses and a bandana over their faces as if you opened your mouth you would get sand in it.  They look like western movie bandits.

Down in the canyon sand would sift down through the cracks above and rain down on us.  I'm glad I had the wraparound sun glasses and a ball cap and a hoodie.

Last night I washed my hair and had sand in the basin.  This am I have sand in my ears. 

This is not the weather to use my single burner stove to cook my hotdogs and beans.


I improvised by boiling water in my 12 volt water heater.


I then put two hotdogs in a thermos coffee mug and poured in boiling water and let it sit for 15 minutes.  

I poured the other half of the boiling water in my collapsing dish with my individual Bush Baked Bean can for the same amount of time.

20 minutes to 12 volt boil water and 15 set time I had beans and hotdogs in 35 minutes without turning in the stove.

Where there is a will there is a way.

People have said I should cook off the engine of the car.  The Prius engine is so efficient that it will not run that long as it shuts off when charged.  Also there is very little heat so it is easier to cook the way I did.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment