Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sick On The Road

I came down with what I thought was a cold just after leaving Maryland on Monday.  Sore throat, runny nose, and hard to swallow were my simptoms.  It got real bad on last Thursday that I didn't feel like doing anything during the morning and by afternoon I had a feavor.  It broke overnight and Friday I felt better.  I kept the runny nose and was coughing up flem (I know yuck)

Later Friday the sore throat was no going away and seemed worse.  I was functional but didn't feel good and Saturday and Sunday I didn't wake till 7:30.  Can you imagine this 5:30 guy getting up at 7:30, but my body was telling me something.  Sunday I figured I wasn't getting better as I should although a very slight improvement was noticeable.  My glands under my jawbones were tender to the touch and when I lifted my head they hurt.

I figured I was going to call my Dr. Tuesday and my wife updated me on my son Brent in MD had almost identical simptoms and went to urgent care and they determined he had strep throat.  

I called my Dr. Office in MA Tuesday and gave the self diagnosis.  There was nothing in the chest/lungs which was good. So, off I went to Leesburg to return to see mom and my aunt and to stop by CVS to pick up some antibiotics.

I started taking them Tursday afternoon and today (Wednesday) the glands were not as tender and no pain in swallowing.  I thin I am on the mend.

I have traveled around the world and have gotten very sick in Europe and Korea.  I'm not apprehensive about getting sick as I have always figured out how to deal with it.  What is funny about this trip was I was telling my Dr of my plans and he wanted me to take some drugs with me, but I didn't bother.  I have a genitic predisposition to contract such things that he was thinking about when he made the offer.  I would take him up on his suggestion on a trip outside North America based on experience.  

I will never forget having the worse diarrhea of my life in Korea.  I went to the Hilton lobby store and bought Imodium ID with a tag on it from the US Army base tag sill on it.  Who says there isn't a black market over there.

In any case I think I am well on the mend and ready for the rest of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment