Saturday, April 2, 2022

Chiricahua National Monument - Echo Canyon Loop Hike

I haven visited Chiricahua National Monument in a number of years and since I hadn’t fully explored it due to number of people and limited parking back then I figured I would try it again.

Parking at visitor center and trailheads are small and if you want to hike show up early.  



I drove to the furthest point up in the mountains and got some early morning views.  I then moved over to the Echo Canyon Trailhead, that is close to the end of the park road and still up high.


(Above: screen capture of my Echo Canyon Loop Hike from AllTrails App)

From the Echo Canyon Trailhead I set out on the Echo Canyon Loop Trail.  Above picture is my hike.  It is suggested that you hike counter clockwise, so I did.


The hike involves going down into the canyon and passing many interesting rock formations.


On the way down the trail takes you through the massive rock formations.


There are plenty of places to stop and if you don’t have time for the full loop trail just walk counter clockwise for a 1/4  mile and return to see some of the formations. The first 1/4 mile does not drop in elevation much counter clockwise.


As shown above the hike is down through the cracks between the stones.



In the picture above the tree helped make this shot.


Lower in the canyon you are now looking up at the formations.



At the bottom of the canyon you meet up with the longer trail to the visitor center before making you way back out of the canyon up to the parking lot.

It was a fun hike and it’s a long continuous climb up out of the canyon.  There are plenty of rocs to sit on a rock for a rest if needed and drink some water you brought with you. I bring 2 liters at least on a like such as this.

Happy hiking

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment