Thursday, March 31, 2022

Cochise Stronghold - More Than Just Camping

Some of my friends have been to Cochise Stronghold, but I had never been.  Since I gave up on going to UT in March this year, because of the weather there and also fuel prices, I was looking to continue exploring in southern Arizona.


I decided to go to the eastern side of the eastern side of the Coronado National Forest to spend a night and check out the area.


The camping as shown in the picture above has a number of sites, although no water, toilets, or rubbish.  It is a very pleasant area.  It is a drive from a major road.



I went for a hike in the canyon that Cochise made his stronghold.  A canyon with steep sides, made it very defensible. Here are a couple deer that I saw on my hike.



There are a few hikes here with one hike that goes around the mountain to the other side to Council Rock.  I didn’t plan the time for that hike.  Council Rock is also accessible by driving around the mountain.  

I chose to stick with checking out the area this time and come back at a future time to visit Council Rock and explore the west side.

If you get a chance to visit Cochise Stronghold you should brush up on some western history.  I recommend this link to give you the details on what happened here. 


There are many places in southeast Arizona that are fun if you enjoy western history.  If you haven’t visited spring and fall are great times to enjoy the area.

Safe travels

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment