Thursday, April 21, 2022

Rutherford Beach, Creole, LA

I made my way away from my last Texas free beach’s, on to Rutherford Beach in Louisiana, yet another free beach.

With ports potties and trash receptacles, it lies on the western side of the Mississippi Delta, hard hit by a past hurricane.

Here is a quote from a Google search.
 On August 27, 2020, at 1:00 am CDT, Hurricane Lauramade landfall near Cameron with maximum sustained winds of 150 miles per hour (240 km/h), a category 4 storm on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.”



Above I’m parked just above the highest tide a few weeks ago.  High tide now is well below where I’m parked.

To the right rear of my truck is the beach road and hard packed.  It is 2-wheel drive friendly but don’t go more towards the water without 4x4.  You will see the results below.

As I arrived a class c camper was getting help out of the sand from trying to do a U-Turn.  For turning a multi point turn with keeping wheels on hard packed and not cutting wheels too sharp.


In this photo you can see the big boy camping vehicle are parked on the side of the beach road where the sand is hard packed.


This will be my last free beach camping for this years travels .  It is also then my last beach sunset too.  It’s be great fun searching out these few free to nearly free beach camping spots this year.  I’ll have plenty of sand to get out of places in the camper and truck when I get home.



I arrive at the beach before all the weekend visitors came and I got to walk the beach before shell collecting and driving on the beach crush the hood ones.

The picture above came out so well I was asked how I took the picture.  It was with my iPhone 11 setting the camera nearly on the ground to get the best image.



Above is a sampling of the shells I picked up.  I’m not a shell collector but liked the sizes, shapes and colors.


(Google search image)

This is a hard hit area of Louisiana from a hurricane and destroyed businesses homes and government buildings.  I wanted to taste the local food offerings but the restaurant building is gone and the owner has replaced the building with a food truck and picnic tables

To support the local economy a bit I went to the Anchors Up Grill in Cameron for a lunch on one of the 3 days I stayed at Rutherford Beach.

Being one of two places to eat (food trucks) there were plenty of people stopping for lunch too.  The local food was great!


On the weekend this group of young people parked just past my camper for the day.  It was getting late in the day and this silver pickup truck got the rear end stuck.  It is only 2-wheel drive.  Parents with trucks were called and came with other 2-wheel trucks and one snapped the tow strap and was temporarily stuck.  Finally another 2-wheel truck came and had some very aggressive tire tread and was able to pull it out as the stuck truck assisted by spinning the tires.



Above is the location the truck was stuck.  Note the location of the front wheels were not far from the water’s edge.

The beach is nice but as I walked the beach I did pick up a bunch of trash, some glass pieces.  



My vandwelling friend aka “Blaize Sun”, who had come to this beach when she was young, recounted in a note to me about half-wild beach cows.  I’m glad she sent the picture as I was thinking bovine wandering around.  Lucky I didn’t encounter these beasts.

She also recounted crude oil on the beach.  Most of the beach is clean but the remote camping areas still have small to large oil sand globs.  

It’s always sad to see what we do to our earth.

Well folks it on to Natchez, MS, such a offer to visit.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment