Saturday, April 23, 2022

Texas And Louisiana Coastal Ferries

If you have been following my blog about free beach camping along the Texas and Louisiana coast I wanted to share the free ferry systems in both states making this trip even more economical.

From south to north and east, first is Port Aransas Ferry.
From the northern part of the island chain where the Padre Island National Seashore back to the mainland this ferry saves driving south then west and then north to achieve what the Texas Highway system provides a ferry for free.

It is easily accessed on the island and is efficient with ferries running in both directions.



Above is a Google Maps screen capture of the Port Aransas ferry terminal on the island back to the mainland


And now a photo through my windshield of my ferry ride from Port Aransas 


Above is a Google Maps screen capture of the ferry terminal in Galveston  to the next island where Bolivar Beach camping is.


Here is the corresponding photo through my windshield of my ferry ride to Bolivar Beach.  It’s about twice the time across here as it was at Port Aransas, but neither was a long wait or a long trip on the ferry.

Now on to Louisiana’s Cameron-Holly Beach Ferry.  This ferry is only free from west to east.  I approached this ferry from Beaumont, TX south through Port Arthur, TX and on to the ferry.  This is a highway I have not taken before and I found it interesting.  The ferry at Cameron l, although small in size and distance traveled, serving both directions, runs often enough there is not much of a wait.

Above is the Google map image I captured of the Cameron Ferry.




They balanced this ferry like the others by putting this grouping of small vehicles on one side and a big dump truck on the other.

Well, there you have it free ferries heading north and east from southern Texas to Louisiana to go with the free beach camping in my other blog posts.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment