Thursday, April 7, 2022

The Window Trail Hike - Big Bend NP

I separated my larger Big Bend hike to the Window as a separate post from my general visit to Big Bend National Park. Check my other blog post on my general visit to Big Bend


I started my hike at the main parking area by the Chico’s Basin Lodge around 9:00 AM.  In fact, I parked behind the Restaurant.  Big Bend NP is popular, especially during spring break.  I was told by the Ranger that they shut off general access to the lodge at the top  of the mountain by 10:00 as there is no more parking spots available.

If you look at picture above you will see the notch in the hills.  This is the slot canyon that drains this basin.

Knowing this, I got up early from my overnight spot 1 hour from park to allow me to find a spot to park without waiting.

Remember to check on such details before you go so you can better utilize your time and not be disappointed.



Above is the trail to the window Rock


The hike is down the canyon to a slot canyon


This hike is one of the most popular at the NP and you will encounter many others on the trail.



At the viewpoint of the hike you will see the window in the slot canyon.  


Above is my hike as captured on the AllTrails App.  Please not that my hike was at least 1 mile longer having parked at the lodge parking lot.  After the hike I did learn that there is another parking lot for the hike down by the adjacent campground, saving sone elevation too.  Bring plenty of water and a snack as this is a 6 mile hike at 1000 ft elevation and 3 hours.  Be prepared.



In case you didn’t see the hole under the rock in the slot canyon, this is the closeup of that hole.

Ensure you arrive early and try to finish by noon as it can get very hot in the basin.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment