Sunday, April 24, 2022

Natchez, MS - A Private Tour

As shown in the picture below Natchez, Mississippi sits on the Mississippi River.  It’s an old city with a history that I only knew some of from school.

So, when I got an invitation by a friend who grew up in Natchez to get a tour of the area, I was all in.  I find the Mississippi River intriguing and I usually stop in Hannibal, MO on my way home from the west.  This year was different as I was trying to save sone gas due to the higher prices and find new things to see and do.  I’ve had a great time mixing up my adventures this year. 



I didn’t know that Spain had once occupied this land from the natives as well as the French, that I did know, or at least remember.

A friend of my friend provided access to their land overlooking the Mississippi for a view during my stay that could not be beat.


Above is the view from my camping spot.  The paddle boats and barges travel up and down the river.  I think of the movies with the steam paddle boats and their whistle when they were making or leaving.



It wouldn’t be spring if it wasn’t for the threat of severe weather and a tornado watch one night.  Just a bit of small hail from the radar capture in the picture above.


While I was in town there were two paddle boats in Natchez port on the river.  The bridge over the Mississippi replaced the ferry that once connected Mississippi to Louisiana.


The friend of my friend let it be know to the neighbors that I was getting a tour and it resulted in an evening get together with very friendly neighbors for a gathering on a porch overlooking the Mississippi.

The 3 families provided excellent hospitality and lively conversation making the visit to Natchez more than I could have imagined.


This sunset picture above was just wonderful to have caught it at the right moment.  Thanks to all who made that evening exceptional for this northerner.  


But the fun wasn’t over with tours of antebellum homes dotted all around town. And add the spring colors at every turn.



Disc golf in Duncan Parj with ancient trees.



Lunch at the Pig Out Inn for lunch

And the list goes on;
- A tour of a segment of the Natchez Trace Parkway
- More tastes from local eateries 
- Historic walk downtown
- Natchez Visitor Reception Center to view all the history panels
- Natchez National Historic Park and tour of the Melrose House
- Grand Village of the Natchez Indians

In other words you can’t get a good appreciation for Natchez without spending a few days.  

It was a great time and filled my long desire to see Natchez.  April was a perfect time to visit as it’s not hot and muggy and the flowers are beautiful.

I hope you get to visit one day and meet the friendly people in town that often like to chat about where you are from.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment