Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 95 - 4/21/14 La Jolla, CA to Winslow, AZ

Denise and I were up early and on the way to the San Diego Airport before 5:00 am.  I dropped Denise off at the Sourhwest curb and I was on my way home.  Although this was a long days ride they will not all be as I don't arrive home until Friday, May 2.



I was well into the mountains on I8 between San Diego and El Centro before twilight arrived.


Here is sunrise coming out if the east side of the mountains


These are the windmills on the eastern foothills.


I don't think I shared a picture of the wall the US built along the boarder of Mexico.  The dark line is the wall.  The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has land that is free to camp on right along the wall.


Just before arriving in Yuma on western side of town are he desert sanddunes.


I am planning out my trip to but gas at Pilot or Flying-J gas stations as they are usually the cheapest but I also get $.03 off each gallon with my Good Sam Card.

Today I got gas in Yuma, here near Goodyear, AZ west of Phoenix, and lastly in Winslow, AZ. (See below)


Heading up I17 from Phoenix here is the mountain in Flagstaff in the distance.


Flagstaff being high in elevation it has trees.


In Flagstaff I picked up I40 towards New Mexico.


I stopped in Winslow, AZ for dinner on old RT66, although no longer a US Highway it has historical RT66 signs like the one on the Restaurant menu except they are brown and say historic.

The food was typical diner food.


Tonight I am staying at this Flying-J plaza.


I decided to try the showers they have there.  They are excellent for $12.00.

With a sink


Toilet


And shower


They give you a floor towel, bath towel, and face cloth


It was worth the try and makes staying in the parking lot a bit easier to take.

I had a few minutes to pass so I sat in the truck drivers lounge and watched basketball with them.



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment