Thursday, May 30, 2019

Spiralife - Not Used Enough



I think all Vandwellers have great ideas that don’t work out, as we think they will.

I have a few items that were my great ideas that didn’t go as planned and since space, and weight is a premium, they will not take a ride with me next year.

This is a spiral cutter that you can make noodles from squash for example.  

Oh, I thought that I would be creative by making vegetable spaghetti, and although I did make it, it was more work and effort that I wished.  I did test it out at home before taking it but it still passed the I will take it as it’s small logic.

To use this device you have to have fresh squash, and you need to screw the squash into the tapered hole to start the spirals.  When you get close to the top with the end of the squash, there is a spiked cap that helps screw it farthet in.  The result is that you have a nub that doesn’t get cut into spirals.  

The Spiralife is not easy to clean either, as the squash my get stuck in the sharp holes that cut the squash.  Also, the squash noodles cook real fast so all you need to do is blanch them or they quickly over cook and wilt. I have a one burner stove so there is timing issues to cook all items.

I used it once to make pesto squash noodles and it was too much like work for the effort.  It was too hard to maintain the firmness if the squash noodles too.

It’s an ok tool but just not worth the space and time to use it on the road.  It will not be taking the cross country ride with me next year.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment