Saturday, May 11, 2019

Ridge Trail - Patapsco Valley State Park



Not far from my oldest son’s home in MD is Patapsco Valley State Park.  On my way home from my yearly travels, I stop and see the family for a week.  When the family are busy during the weekdays, I branch out to do some things in the area.  This state park is quick to get to and provides for an interesting hike.



Although I was on the Ridge Trail the hillside has a network of trails.



If you run out of gas don’t look to this pump in the woods. Once trash it now is probably an antique.



There are a couple old buildings in the woods along the trail too.



In the spring there are multiple streams but usually only one running down the hill in the summer.



This is the Patapsco River.  This river and upstream locations have flooded a few times in the past years.  The bent over trees indicate the height of the water.



This was a significant hike st 7.5 miles.  The elevation change wasn’t bad either.



Above is the trail route that I took.

It generally costs to get in the state park but they were doing construction on the road and were not collecting.

Note that there are no trash receptacles.  A purposeful decision by the State of Maryland.  I don't agree with no trash bins as I have to drop my trash off at McDonald’s when I get my iced tea after my hike.  

It’s still a good hike if your in the area.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brent, Glad you enjoyed the trails. They don't have trash cans in the park because if they did the park would then turn into garbage men instead of attending to needs of the park. In the summer weekends many users already pile trash close to illchester road. Adding trash cans would make the park rangers job a complete nightmare.

    ReplyDelete