Sunday, May 12, 2019

Little Free Library- Complete!



My MD son asked me last summer, during the family visit to MA,  to work with my oldest granddaughter (GD) to build a Little Free Library (LFL).  So, my GD and I had a design meeting.  I found out she knew exactly what she wanted.  Right down to shape of building, one slot for large books, and the other side two slots.  One for small books and one for medium size books.



I have plenty of scrap wood at the house so we took her design and we built her Little Free Library.

I did have to buy the hinges and latches, as well as plexiglass for the window.

I brought it to MD and left it there last fall and my son had the two GDs sand and paint it this spring.

When I arrived the last week of my trip, I had already been asked to help mount it in their yard.



After a trip to Home Depot for building supplies, my son and I tackled the build of the post.  They live where the library loans tools for building things, so there was a library trip to get a post hole digger.



Putting the post in was a collaboration by both of us.

I reminded him of our family tradition of putting pennies in the setting concrete.  At my house in MA I had a project with cement when both son’s were young.  They put pennies in and handprints.

Here my son found pennies with dates of each family member’s birth year.



With my son at work and GD at school, I took the painted LFL and mounted it to the post, completing the project.



It’s done! Well, I anticipate my son will paint the post, but before I left for home on May 1, he had ordered and registered the MacAloney Little Free Library.

My GDs have donated books and others have as well.  

While visiting my youngest GD preschool they had a LFL I found some interesting wine travel books to browse while waiting to see my GD’s class.

For more information about the Little Free Library program please visit https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment