Saturday, May 4, 2019

Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina



I’ve had a mild fascination with the lower Appalachian Mountains and the Appalachian Trail (AT).  I have been to the southern end of the AT to see it.  I have camped at a National Park Campground in Bryson City, NC.

The problem I faced was I really didn’t know where to go and what to see.  This year I was going to do more looking in NC, and then I met a vandweller that lives in NC who offered to show me areas they knew I would like.

I had planned a few days between leaving Alabama and arriving in Maryland.  The timing couldn’t have been better.



We went to Pisgah National Forest to hike from Table Rock to The Chimneys along the ridge.  The weather had cleared and it couldn’t be better for a hike.



Above is the parking lot with Table Rock in the background.  The road up here was very rough from the winter weather.  4x4 was helpful in places.



You can disburse camp on the ridge too.



The views along the hike were amazing.



Spring was everywhere with flowers lining the trail.  It was nice to catch this rhododendron with table rock in the background.



Wild irises were in full bloom.



More flowers with alThe Chimneys in the background.



The views looking off into the distance made for a pleasant view.



Looking south down the Linville Gorge..



Looking north in the Linville Gorge, and the Linville River shining in the center.

What a wonderful day with the drive, hike, touring the area with a new friend.

I’m so glad I had the time to stop to see and smell the spring flowers in NC.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment