Sunday, May 5, 2019

Linville Gorge, NC Up Close



My NC friend was doing a great job of forestry road navigation in my Tacoma / FWC navigation on somevery rutted roads.  Some spots were so steep and although dry, I was slipping with the weight of my camper.  I put it in 4x4 and climbed the hills without slipping.

In the back of my head I thought I may break another FWC tie down bolt with the twisting and turning and transgressing bump/ruts, but in the end I didn’t.

We drove the Forest Service Ridge Road opposite Table Rock and The Chimneys to take these pictures and take the short hike to the river.




The walk to the river was quite busy with others for a weekday.  



If you look closely in the center of the picture above there is an orange cone.  Behind it the observation platform is cluttered with debris from one point in time when there was high water.

That must have been some high water.



Right after the last picture the water rushes down and around this rock.

In the pool up stream there were some folks in the water.  It wasn’t that warm!



A hike down stream and up the canyon wall you come to this view of the waterfall.

My NC friend and I only sampled the available hiking trails in the area.  There are a lot more to explore.

The area of Linville Gorge is worth a longer stay in the future.  I could see at least 2 more days.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment