Friday, April 24, 2020

Wild Horse Window


Above is a Google Maps screen capture with Wild Horse Window and Wild Horse Window Trailhead pin drops

Thanks to My friend Roxy “A Nomad For Nature” for the recommendation for this hike.  This is an easy to get to location and my Prius followers can drive here with no problem.



Above I have included my AllTrails App screen capture of my hike.

Note that I looked for that straight line trail shown as a dotted line on the map.  Well folks, this is where you need to use your GPS skills and hike to where you can get to the window with and without trail information.

The reason you ask?  Well like many hikes on rock there may not be evidence of a trail and those increasingly larger/smaller stone piles are often wrong as people that don’t know that they are trail markers make them confusing others. 

There is nothing better than you developing skills to know where you are and how to get back.




I’ve come across the wash looking back to my FWC/Tacoma on the level ground up there.



Nope! Not Navajo Mountain I have shown in previous hikes.  This mountain is the Henry’s 



Ok finally found evidence of a trail in the sand.  You can’t see but there are some old sand blown footprints if you get good at finding them



Above at the top of this small wash are the caves at the end.



In the cave on the right is the window with the noon sun shining down.



Here I am with my back to the caves looking downhill.

It’s the same way back but I did some exploring the way.



To say I’m attracted to pools formed in chain from the water running over the sandstone, would be an understatement.



Yes, there are more than one series of pools too.  If your going to hike areas like this take the time to check out the area and see what you might find.

I’ll take you on a hike through Wild Horse Canyon next to the Window in a separate blog post.  You could do one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, but why rush it🤔.

Happy Hiking.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment