Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Cedar Wash Arch - Grand Staircase Escalante


(AllTrails app screen capture)

I’ve been to the Grand Staircase Escalante a number of times an I thought I’ve seen everything close to Escalante and Hole-In-The-Rock Road, but I was surprised to find a few places lightly advertised as a site to see.

Cedar Wash Arch is one such place.  I found it on the AllTrails App and not the handout from the BLM about The Grand Staircase Escalante.  

The road getting there is best with a high clearance 4x4 although 2 wheel drive when the road is dry is possible.  

There is also only parking for a couple vehicles at the trailhead and why it’s probably not advertised by the BLM



There are no signs or directions on how to find Cedar Wash Arch.  I followed, or should I say, I tried following g the trail on AllTrails, but after awhile the trail was gone, I suspect from erosion.  



Heading back to the beginning of the trail the arch is visible looking southeast along the canyon rim.



Walking the rim towards the arch and then past it, I was able to get the photo above.


My AllTrails hike is above.  

The trail listed on AllTrails takes you down into the canyon, but that isn’t necessary, and not really possible as trail is gone..  The arch is in the area where I colored the map orange.

Looking at the map above look to the right.  This is the best viewing point and only a short distance down the cart road shown by from where I parked (black dot) following the dotted line.  All that other walking was a waste of time and energy.

It was a nice visit but bring your 4x4 if the road is wet and also enjoy the canyon view from the rim.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment