Thursday, April 2, 2020

To Mask Or Not To Mask



I’ve been living away from people other than my two friends who also practice isolation the way I do.  This way we protect each other by our efforts. 

I go into town every few days for water, gas and or food.  I go early to the small market and get in and out quickly.  Everything I touch or buy becomes contaminated.  I pay for everything with credit card bringing my own pen.  I believe my process is very effective except for airborne pathogens.  The risk is low but as time has passed it has increased.  

News that a homemade mask can reduce risk by 50-70% would up my keeping safe game.  The sole woman sales clerk is very nice and she is wiping things as best she can.  She cleans her hands with sanitizer but she or a random customer could be a hole in my logic.

I feel that at some point after all the health workers have enough masks they may be required and or become more socially acceptable.  Laredo, TX just made it a requirement to wear a mask in town.

Today being cloudy and cold I got a mask pattern suggestion from my wife and one of my friends and I set out to design and make a mask prototype we can have for each of us.  



First we needed to find some material from what I have available.  I was carrying a new cotton towel that we decided we ours use for the inside filtering.  The outside would be made from an older black polyester tee shirt.  

We used the size information from the referenced information my wife sent and went about with measuring, cutting, and me sewing a prototype (first picture, above)



I pulled out my plywood incline board I use when reclining in bench bed.  I had a sewing set.  My friend Susan started measuring and cutting the pieces.  We didn’t have elastic for around the ears so I found I had some bungee cord o could use for going around the ears and I started sewing.

I didn’t do much for finishing touches as I was sewing by hand and wanted the prototype tested to prove out the design.



I know it’s not glamorous but it is functional and can be washed each eve and dry for the next day.  We would not use them each day but if we do we will put in a zip loc plastic bag until it can be cleaned.  If at some point wearing a mask in the public I will also have something to wear.

Well, that’s what I did on a cold blustery day with snow showers.  

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com





2 comments:

  1. Well done, I came up with a plan for myself today. I'm going to wear a #2 coffee filter over my nose and mouth, and it will be held in place with one of my buffs (the headwear I use a lot) I have about 10 buffs, so can use a new one after being in public. I can also wear one around my head or neck when hiking, and pull it over my mouth if I have to squeeze by someone in a slot canyon. :-) I wore one yesterday in WalMart in Page. Stay safe.
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete