Monday, April 13, 2020

2020 Travels End - 4 Days To Get Home



Shortly after the full moon in March I made a decision to call my 2020 Tracels done and head home.

I would like to explain my decision.

1. Although I made a mask to wear in public I failed by not wearing it when I went into the local town small store due to being the only one doing it.  This is a major failure for me as I don’t have a history of being swayed by public opinion.

2. That day in the market the checkout clearly mentioned she had a sinus problem.  This is how my sister in-law, who believes she had C19 started.  I had to be within 6 ft of the clerk.  Note: I have no reason to not believe the clerk had a sinus issue but my brain went to work.

3. I did all the right things by assuming everything I bought was contaminated and cleaned them and me.

4. I went to bed that night concerned with my behavior and how I put myself and my two friends at possible risk.

5. I self disclosed my error to my two friends

6. I woke the next morning knowing that where I was in the desert I was at least 2.5 hours to a reasonable hospital.  

7. I also knew that if I stayed and got sick I risk my friends.  

8. In the back of my mind I have about 5 days if I left right away to get home before I may get sick and I would be in a better place for medical support.

9. My medical history played into this knowing I have a preexisting condition that puts me at higher risk for a poor outcome from C19.

Considering these factors, it was clear by laying in my sleeping bag by 6:00 am that I needed to leave in the off chance I may get the virus.

Yes, I could have self isolated in the desert for 14 days, but that put me at the time I would be heading home.  No gain there!



I reviewed this USA Today article that gave me a belief that I would not be stopped heading home.  I then told my two dear friends of my decision.  I could no longer guarantee my safety and therefore their safety if I stayed.

I packed up as did one of my friends that had a home and we left.


Approaching Rocky Mountains on I70

We followed each other through the first day along I70 to Denver, CO.  I traveled in that first night to 110 miles east of Denver.

I planned my trip well.  I carried way more than 14 days of food and 20 gallons of water.  I knew I would not have to go into any stores or have contact with people this way.  I only needed gas paid at the pump and no interfacing with people.



On my second day I woke early to drive to the Mississippi River in MO.  



Along the way I thought of my normal travels with stops at McDonald’s for an unsweetened iced tea that would not be this year.



I thought about how I would stop and see things that I’ve never done, but that was a fleeting moments thought. 



I had also considered the weather into my travels as I normally do too.  I left Wednesday AM and my second night was was Thursday at the Mississippi.  I thought about staying 2 nights there but after looking at the future cast weather I knew I needed to move along to get home before the big storm that would be heading across the country.

I encountered a 30 mile or so toll road in eastern KS that my transponder was not compatible with.  I had to take a ticket from a machine.  At the other end there was a woman till attendant who wore a mask and gloves.  I handed my ticket not touching her glove.  It rang up to to $3.70 and I handed her a $5 and said keep the change.  We had decided a long time ago not to exchange cash as it was considered by us as possibly contaminated. 

My third night I arrived in Erie, PA to lake effect snow on Friday night.

Saturday AM I was up before daybreak and hit more snow showers along the New York Thruway.  I got home Saturday afternoon, giving me Sunday to unpack the camper.



Here are this Year also states visited 

In retrospect, I had already changed my yearly plans to leave Utah by the end of April as the virus would not have me visiting my aunt outside of Chicago or going to visit my beautiful cousin in Georgia and missing the gathering in AL.  So I got an extra week in Utah.  Utah is one of the most amazing places to explore.


Evening meal gathering in my Four Wheel Camper with left to right Joanne, Susan, Cafe the standard poodle, and me.

Just the right amount of room with no extra space.

To all my friends and those that follow my blog.  I wish you and your families my best in this very unusual year.  



I found this rock on one of my last days in Utah this year.

Peace and Love

I’m at home social isolating since my last human contact in CO. 

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

P.S. This is not my last 2020 travel post as I have more places o had been and need to write about, but wanted everyone to know I was now home and counting the days with hope that still being well means I did not get the virus.




No comments:

Post a Comment