Thursday, March 24, 2022

Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area


In my 9 years of retirement and same number of winter trips to Arizona, you would think I have been everywhere.  The fact is, I haven’t.

I’ve known about the Whitewater Draw for it’s yearly Bird Count that takes place every winter, but never put it on my list.  

I’m not a birder, but I enjoy nature and wildlife.  The Whitewater Draw didn’t disappoint.  I arrive in the afternoon to a crowded camping area set aside for 3 days maximum per visit and found a pullout on the road in to make camp. 

The key to this visit was the evening walk of the sandhill  cranes out into the shallow water and their predawn-dawn flight.  


Above the sandhill cranes are out in the water for their nightly visit


Here is a photo of sandh cranes taken with my iPhone through binoculars.


Here are the sand cranes taking off on their morning flight


In addition to the sandh cranes there are these small black birds that put on an evening show roosting on the marsh reeds, taking off and landing again and doing his until dark.  Quite enjoyable to watch.



I’ll leave you with my evening sunset at whitewater draw.

Please note that the sandhill cranes migrate and as I understand it, they winter here in AZ reaching around 20,000 of them 

There were plenty of bird enthusiasts with large camera and long lenses. 

Enjoy your travels.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment