Thursday, March 17, 2022

Sanctuary Cove Hike


Tucson, AZ offers sone of the best hiking.  I know you must think I’m a broken record about Tucson hiking.  If you want hikes like this get to Tucson, AZ

This hike starts and ends at a dead end road in the Tucson area through the Saguaro NP West.  I chose to end the hike coming out through Sanctuary Cove, in the above picture. This is a loop trail.


The hike is up a bit and down over a saddle and then up the much higher saddle.  There is an option to go all the way to the top of the mountain, but I didn’t choose that.  From the tall saddle and rim it is a steep decline into Sanctuary Cove.


At the high saddle crossing you get great views of the surrounding area.


The flowers are a bit late from my past experiences, but keep an eye out and catch some color to brighten the trail.


This area is generally lush with green this time of year that makes for a wonderful contrast to the brown.


As you enter Sanctuary Cove the plants have markings to explain what they are.  It’s a great garden walk even if you don’t take the back country hike.



Above is my hike - mind the switchbacks coming down to sanctuary cove.  I mistook the trail for a erosion area and it made it hard to hike until I crossed the trail below.  Safety first and bring a hiking stick.

Enjoy the hike!  I met a woman who hikes it nearly every day.  Another great Tucson hike in the books.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com










No comments:

Post a Comment