Saturday, March 19, 2022

Charlie Bell Pass Hike - 3rd Time Was A Charm

I have been to Charlie Bell Pass for 3 times now and this time it paid off with finding the elusive petroglyphs.  Those that follow me know I love exploring the southwest and the ancients left signs from their existence in a number of ways. Last year I got a lead on petroglyphs south of here in the Organ Pipe National Monument and went searching with my friend Roxy and we found them.  They were not posted on any website I could find.

This year my friend Joanne and I were determined to find the Charlie Bell Pass petroglyphs.  


My previous photo of the Cabreza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, where Charlie Bell Pass is located.


You must get a free permit to enter this area and other areas nearby due to US Military usage.  The permit is online but you need to print the pass and put in your vehicle.  You also need a permit for each individual even if ride with someone else..  the permit is through Luke Airforce Base.  See my previous post on this. (Above link)

With permits in both our hands we head out in Joanne’s Jeep, from Ajo, AZ.  You drive on dirt roads from town until you enter the permitted area about 6 miles in from town, where you sign in.

The road gets progressively worse and why I don’t take my camper on my Tavoma.  The bouncing and rocking is not camper friendly.

The last 1/2 mile is the worse.  Loose rocks and bouncing and rocking all the way to the pass at the top of the hill.

When you park at the top of the pass at the road gate, you need to put your permits on the dash so they can be see .

We headed out meeting a hiking couple coming up the side we were going down and they didn’t find the petroglyphs and we’re disappointed. 

We continued with all our experiences knowing what to look for.  I must say Joanne is much better than me in finding petroglyphs.




We hiked and we found just a few petroglyphs but we knew there were more than what we found. As shown above.  We knew there was a lot more.if you actually find the above 2 petroglyphs in the pictures you get an extra star as they were not found in the main Petroglyph area.



Joanne found the fist few petroglyphs, and then as expected she finds the main area.



Above: we thought this may be a millipede



I wish I knew what the ancients were communicating in the above picture



We were overwhelmed with the total number of petroglyphs and spend at least a half an hour just looking and taking pictures. Above pictures are only a small sample of petroglyphs we found on this hike.

With success in finding the petroglyphs we needed to hike back out and up to the pass where we parked.  

It’s always more encouraging to hike up first and down hill on the way back, but this hike is down first and up on way back.

Happy hiking and since these petroglyphs are not geo located online from my research I will leave it to you to experience the satisfaction of finding yourself.

Happy hiking

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment