Friday, March 25, 2022

Carlsbad Caverns 36 Years Later

Some of you will relate to this.  You take your family on a cross country trip and years later you go back to sone of the same places.  For me my family’s cross county trip was about 36 years ago.  On that trip I took my young family to Carlsbad Caverns National Park.  

Sone things I remembered before arrival this time and other memories were triggered by the visit.

Here is my visit this year.


The mouth of the cave

I remember the mouth of the cave most vividly and the switch back path into the cavern.  This is also where you can see the evening bat flight when bats are staying here. The bats are not heat now.


Above looking back out of the cave opening.

 I camped outside the park so, I was able to arrive early to avoid the crowds that come later in the day.


There are many beautiful pictures to take like the one above, but I can only share a few in my blog



Being early meant I had a quiet time in the caves.  Although the ranger instructs everyone to use library voices, later in my walk it got louder from non library voices.



The formations are nothing but impressive, as is the one above.



There is plenty to learn here beyond the beauty.

The geology related to the formation of the area and the caves is very interesting.

The 1.25 mile hike down or up or 3 miles round trip is great exercise.  Along with the 750 ft elevation change may be your workout for the day.

I chose as I did many years ago to hike into the cave depending g the 750 foot drop and taking the fast and efficient elevator to the top.  

Although walking out is an option you would be going against the flow of the majority of the people.


Ok just one more picture before I move in in my adventures.

Carlsbad caverns, although it is a long way from population, is worth the trip.  Note that you need a reservation to get in to the caves and that living is limited in the area.  I boondocked outside the park and had no problem.

Safe travels

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment