Monday, March 30, 2020

A Visit To Chimney Rock - Grand Staircase Escalante

I feel lucky this year that I was able to finally get to places that wet weather prevented in prior years.  This includes Chimney Rock.  A lone rock that can be seen for miles from the main road, Hole-In-The-Rock Road.

That was the closest I had gotten I the past.



Chimney Rock is a few miles in on the one lane road seem in the picture above.

Note this is not a road for a Prius or any low clearance road.  The road has a high crown in spots and sections with loose soft sand.

My Tacoma squished a bit in the soft sand but with for wheel drive I just didn’t stop to get there.  On of the soft spots was on a rise on the way out and I knew it was coming so I maintained my speed and got through.

As I approached Chimney Rock above there is a loop to turn around but a quick check on the far side of the loop were two tire holes where someone went past the loop and tried turning around and dug holes.

I was able not to find the same fate.



Here is my Tacoma/Four Wheel Camper at line rock.  It has been a drier spring in souther Utah and has allowed better travel on dirt roads.

Although every few days it was unsettled, the rain wasn’t heavy enough to raise the rivers and turn long sections into mud.  Although we did encounter some mud the sections were short and passive with 4x4.

Check out the great blue sky.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment