Tuesday, January 7, 2020

How Many Days From MA to AZ?



As I mentioned in my last post my trips vary each year based on weather.  I do not take I40 west of Oklahoma City as it is very cold after Amarillo, TX into NM and then AZ.  

My truck uses so much more gas than my Prius😩, but it’s good to stop every few hours and I do that at about 150 miles between fill ups.  I normally stop at truck stops like the one above to fuel up and use the restroom.



My second night stop was the same as last year on I30, about 25 miles before the outskirts of Dallas, TX.  Last year I drove from this stop all the way to Tucson, AZ in one day putting 1058 miles on in one go.  I don’t recommend this and this year I was tired when I went into NM from El Paso, TX, so I decided to stop at a federal camping spot in the hills overlooking White Sands, NM and outside of Las Cruces, NM

The picture above is my camper at daybreak at the Aguirre Spring Campground, 30 minutes from Las Cruces and I10.  It was $7.00 a night but with my National Park Pass I paid $3.50.  Such a deal!

Now on my fourth day of travel it was an easy trip to Tucson from there.  After a morning stop at Walmart in Las Cruces, I headed West again in I10.


(Google search photo)

It was a nice blue sky day again with the temperature at about 60 in western AZ and I decided to take a side trip to Hot Well Dunes.  This is a BLM campground costing $3.00 a night and with my park pass $1.50.  You pay the same for day use as staying overnight, so I got to say hi to Lon, the campground host and catch up a bit then soak in the hot tub for about an hour before heading back on the road to Tucson that night.

I wanted to get to Tucson as I wanted to hike the following morning.

So this year it took 4 days to get from MA to AZ and only 3 days last year.  

After a day and a half of rain it was blue sky’s and sunshine all the way.  The weather is supposed to be good in southern AZ for a few days and I’m looking forward to hikes and Disc Golf.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment