Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Big Tent 2020 And New Gadgets

I wasn’t planning to go to the big tent this year until a friend asked if I was going.  I was free this morning and agreed to go at the opening to avoid the crowd.  I have usually gone on the weekend morning and it’s always been crowded.

I bought a water pump tube for transferring water between containers last year, or was it a year before.  It was very useful and very functional, and I still have it.

So, when I got to the booth with a young man touting the following wire cutter/stripper my friend knew it was right up my gadget mind.



The sales pitch was a tried and true one.  Selling one for $20 but, today you get the large tool for large wire, and the small tool for the little wires for $20.00.



What really sold me was all the wiring I do and the time it takes to strip wires correctly, and the demonstrated ease of the use of the tool.



The $20 flowed from my pocket into my hand and into his and the transaction was done.



It wasn’t long before I was in need of stripping #10 wire for a friend and the one stripper rated for #10 wire at the largest size, and it did not strip it.

I’m not totally surprised as #10 wire is large and heavy.

While working on my friend’s van, I moved my hand into my tool bag and pulled out a conventional wire stripper, shaped like pliers and trimmed the #10 wire.

I’m not casting these hopefully handy tools out of my tool bag yet, as I have more wire sizes to try them on before I cast them aside. 

There may even be a follow up review in my blog if I don’t get too frustrated with them.

It was a good day at the show as it included a stop at the scratch and dent food tent for item to cook on the road, and then K&B tools for discounted Butane for my single burner stove.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment