Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Rock Hounding In Eastern Arizona

If fire agates is your thing, there are a few places to Rock Hound in Eastern Arizona 


At the Black Hills Rockhound Area.  The Rockhounding here is known for a lot of pieces of fire agates.  They are here for the fun of finding and taking.

Im not “into” Rockhounding, but I do pick up rocks on my travels and hikes I find interesting.  This side trip here was worth while and made for a nice change for the day.

Above is what the area looks like that you will be looking for fire agates.  

Although you can see sone fire agates from a standing position I was much more successful kneeling and being up closer to the ground.  Sone posts for this area indicate the inability to find fire agates.  Possibly they didn’t get down close enough to see them.  Possibly they were only looking for the large deep amber fire agates.  

If you do a Google search you will see there are many colors of fire agates.  Certainly amber are more attractive because of their color.  In any case, I had no problem finding many.  I found so many I stopped picking them up.  I found them where people had dug looking for them.  Most I found were just sitting on the top of the ground.

Dust on the surface of the ground does obscure the fire agates.  A spray bottle of water can help find more. Also useful is a small trowel and gloves.  The gloves are a must when moving debris on the ground to not hurt your hand with a thorn.  Also handy is a small collection bag, drinking water, and a gardening kneeling pad.

There is an old camping circle where I parked but there are other places.  Boondocking is allowed as this is BLM land.  Road is rough getting in to the old campground but a high clearance vehicle and dry road would have no major problem.



Here is my collection all obtained in an hour.



Here are a few off my fire agates I selected with different coloring.

There are other places in this area to find rocks, including into New Mexico.

Happy Rockhounding.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment