Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Decision To Replace The Tacoma



Above is my 2021 Tacoma in the foreground and my 2011 Tacoma in the background.

Although my 2011 Tacoma still ram well at 10 years old and 110,000 miles, I wanted to assure reliability as I travel to remote areas.



Although this is surface rust, it is a sign of what New England weather and road salt does.  You would never believe that I use spray paint each year to touch up the rust.  It got ahead of me.

It was September when I recognized that the end of model year sales were on at Toyota.  I then realized that COVID had disrupted the production of new trucks too.  I decided on a Toyota dealer, and when I went, there were no Tacoma’s in inventory that met my configuration requirements.  

The Tacoma I have is an extended cab (Access) and a 6’ bed.  There were many double cabs with short 5’ beds in area inventory but my camper is sized for a 6’ bed.

I decided to order the truck I wanted and it would be scheduled to come in at the end of October, being made in San Antonio, TX.

Buying a new truck is a lot of work, as I have significant small additions and modifications to suit my need.

I will address these modifications as well as ones for the camper as I wait for the COVID vaccine to be able to resume my travels for 2021.



I stopped at a boat ramp along the Connecticut River on the way home to check out my new truck.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com


2 comments:

  1. Which trim level did you purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, The 2021 SR5 comes with more items than my 3011 SR5, but I did get the Technology Package, so I have plenty of extras. I have put about $2K in after market mods on it that I will cover with my blog posts.

      Thanks

      Brent

      Delete