Saturday, January 9, 2021

I Like Having A Remote Starter



I asked the Toyota dealer about a remote starter with my new truck.  I was told they don’t put Toyota remote starters in vehicles as they don’t work well and they send people to installers in the area to have one put in.

Really???

I had a guy put a 2-way long distance remote starter in my 2011 Tacoma and I liked it other than it had a big fob to carry in my pocket.  I could open my truck across a parking lot though.  

So, I took delivery of my 2021 Tacoma and set about finding a remote starter I like.  

The Tacoma online forums indicated the N2 remote starter that is plug and play and I could install myself.  Amazon had similar units for lower prices, but N2 had the option of adding a distance remote at a later time.  Well, as you can see from the picture above I bought the N2.

To install you need to drop the lower plastic dash panel below the steering wheel.  Then remove the two halves of the steering column cover.. separate cables and plug in cables.  Also optionally cut one wire to splice into a cable to the controller.


(Above is the ODB2 “Y” cable end that plugs into the car plug.  The other end replaces the car connector that service people use.  The long end of the “Y” plugs into the controller.) 


(Above is a picture with the defective cable connector with corrosion on the emery board trying to fix it.)

I opened the dash and installed the remote starter and it didn’t work.  I talked to the owner of N2 and the support was great.  He sent out a new unit snd cables after we tried troubleshooting the one I was originally sent.

After some testing and a company technician saying the control box wasn’t seeing the signal from the ODB2 “Y” cable I found a tarnished pin, but emery file couldn’t solve the problem. (See pictures and comments above.)

As guessed the cable was bad and swapping it out solved the installation problem.  The RA label got the extra parts back for free.

This is a plug and play solution, but you can’t stop the truck from remote running with key FOB, or keep it from shutting the engine off when you open the door.

There is a solution to solve these two things !


(Above is the connector behind the left drivers kick plate.

If you cut the right wire and splice in a supplied wire that connects to the controller, you can then remotely shut truck off if running the 15 minute cycle by pressing the key FOB.

It also solves the issue of opening the door and having the engine shut off.  With the Eire splice, you get in the truck with engine running and put the key in and turn to on (2 clicks) and truck will continue to run and you can drive away.  A foot on the brake before turning key will shut off engine.

I’m happy with the remote starter and have not had the need to upgrade to a long distance starter.

N2 also sells an option to connect to the car to allow for using my iPhone to start truck and follow the truck’s status remotely.  I don’t have that need as of yet either.

FYI: H-Key is a key with a security chip in it.

The nicest feature of this install is you start the truck using the factory key FOB by pushing the lock button 3 times slowly.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

Below are the sales comments.

N2 Designs 2018-2021 Toyota Tundra Plug & Play Remote Start Kit (H-Key)

$349.00 Regular Price
$299.00

Details

    • NO DEALER ACTIVATION REQUIRED
    • 99.9% Plug & Play (1 wire cut)
    • Printed color instructions included
    • Complete Kit - nothing else needed
    • Compatible with our Long Range Remote Kits
    • Compatible with our Smart Phone Module 

     

    Requirements

    • 2018 2019 2020 2021 Toyota Tundra (H-Key)
    • Key Start Ignition
    • Automatic Transmission ONLY 

     

    Operation

    • To Start:  Press the lock button 3 times on factory key FOB
    • To Stop:  Press the lock button 3 more times while engine is on
    • Parking Lights will illuminate
    • Run Time is 15 minutes 
    • All doors, and hood must be closed

         

        Special Notes

        • Vehicle will NOT shut off when a door is opened.
        • You will be able to get into the vehicle after a remote start, put the key into the ingition, turn the igition two clicks to ON position, tap the brake pedal, and now your key is in control and you can drive off!


        No comments:

        Post a Comment