Saturday, January 23, 2021

Eliminating Moisture Under Foam Mattress



When I was Prius dwelling I had a Thermarest mattress under my sleeping bag.  I would notice moisture under the sleeping bag where my torso was laying when I got up in the morning.  The colder it got there was more dampness.  I would fold back the sleeping bag during the day to dry things out.

When I switched to the Four Wheel Camper (pick up camper) dwelling, I mostly slept on the passenger side bench seat.  This area is just a piece of plywood under me to the outside without insulation.  The above picture shows the bench with my sleeping bag on it.

Under the sleeping bag is 2” of foam mattress snd the colder it gets the more condensation collects on the bottom of the foam against the plywood.  On my previous years travels I would just flip the foam mattress to have it dry during the day. 



This year I found this moisture barrier for under mattresses in campers snd boats to eliminate moisture.



I bought one pieces 39” wide and 72” long and cut it to 25 “ wide to use as a moisture barrier under my bench/bed foam cushion.  I’ve tested it and there is no moisture in the AM and I’m pleased to allow air to circulate and keep the area dry.



I liked it enough that I decided to also put the moisture barrier under the mattress on the overhang bed.  I only needed to buy one more piece the same size, and with the leftover piece from cutting the size for the bench, it gives me a full size mattress underlay moisture barrier.

The camper upper bunk can be bigger but I use standard full size sheets and this is big enough for two side to side as long as no one is over 6’ tall.



The moisture barrier can be easily cut with heavy duty scissors.  It is 3/4” thick and the webbing that make for an open airflow is moderately stiff but can be compressed with fingers.  When laying in it with foam above, as I’m using, it does not compress.

When I get on the road to 2021 travels I will get to test this moisture barrier a lot more.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment