Thursday, January 14, 2021

Inside Tacoma - Where To Mount Things



I wanted a clean look for the things I have mounted Ted in the cab of my Tacoma.  I found it!

From left to right is my phone, dash camera, ham radio microphone (radio is in the center console front pocket), and my rear camper camera screen (right).

The rear camper camera screen last year (2011 Tacoma) was mounted on top of rear view mirror with heavy duty Velcro. This screen gives me rear view while driving to see behind me with camper mounted.  Unlike the rear backing camera that comes with the 2021 Tacoma that only comes on when in reverse, I can turn this on while driving to see what is behind me.  The camera is wireless powered from the camper.

When I don’t need the rear view camera screen it easily comes off the dash.  Note, there are different mounts available but I decided to make my own mount for the screen from available parts and parts from Amazon.




I decided to go with the Taco Garage DMM mounting system. It was reasonably cost effective, although you should buy the 1” ball mounts from DMM as the screw size used on the mount are not the standard 1/4-20”.


DMM ball mount with single stud.


I bought 3 1” ball studs to mount in the dash frame (4th ball came with phone mount for DMM) that is a do-it-yourself build with a YouTube with step by step directions.



Here is my upper dash fram that I’m installing the modification to.  The red tabs is what holds this plastic frame to the dash.



The modification is basically a top black metal trim and the bar stock under with the mounting nuts.  The plastic is sandwiched between the two.

What I like about this modification is that I can remove all mounts and you don’t see the modification.



Above is the black trim piece of metal that fits perfectly into the gap between the plastic frame and the dash.



My first mount was my phone.  I also bought this mount from Taco Garage and it is secure. 



The phone mount came with one ball mount with center stud.

If you buy the 1” ball mount any 1” ball camps can be purchased from places like Amazon.  

I disliked the phone mount I had in my older Tacoma as it covered the vent.  It also gets my phone up higher when running google maps.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com








2 comments:

  1. What did you think of CarPlay? It works so well that I do not bother mounting my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      There are some good features snd then those I don’t care for.

      First I don’t like Bluetooth connection to my phone as when I start the car remotely from the house and my phone rings the voice is in the car. The phone doesn’t ask if you want the call on the phone and it goes directly to Bluetooth in the car.

      I use a wired connection to my iPhone for the things I like.

      Secondly, as a nomad I use pin drops to remember places and friends give them to me to drive to their location. The Tacoma system does not show pin drops. It does not show Satillite view, and so on, so I need to use the google app on my phone to see all the things I want.

      The thing I like about the system is playing music with tunein app and podcasts for entertainment.

      So, this is why I want my phone up front and high as maps sucks though CarPlay

      I may do a full review of the Tacoma console features at some point. I have the DCM fuse pulled so I don’t send data to Tacoma or the dealer service department as I do not wish to share this information,

      Great question

      Thanks

      Brent

      Delete