Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Outside the Tacoma Upgrades

My 2011 Tacoma had these modifications and I looked forward to include them on my new 2021.


The bug/stone deflector kept the hood and windshield in great condition and well worth adding it to my new Tacoma.


I learned about rain guards and their advantage during my Prius travel years.  The ability to vent heat out of the cab and  when raining.  I enjoy this modification.


A step up from my 2011 Tacoma’s steel rims to alloy is such a nice change that came with my SR5 model.  The steel rims rusted and were replaced once only to have them rust again.  

My modification is the locking lug nut set to reduce the risk of wheel theft.



The SR5 Tacoma comes with blind spot notification in the mirror with a flashing symbol, but I still like seeing what is there so I added conveyed mirrors on both sides.

A handy feature of these is also seeing parking space lines.  The side mirrors loose the parking lines as you back to them.  With the curved mirror you can track the white lines as you back up.

Yes I have a rear backing camera that I can align to but I still enjoy seeing what is along the sides as I back.  It comes from years of backing my vehicles as a firefighter so I could drive out to calls quicker.



Mud flaps are not a nice to have in my eyes and I think they should come with trucks.  So I installed aftermarket front and back.



Ok a bit of bling.  It’s not in my personality generally to add such things but I bought these very nice black aluminum TACOMA inlays. 



I don’t feel you can have enough braking or turning visibility.  Having almost being rear ended by a tractor trailer truck last year, I added the strip light that gives braking and turn signals.



A deletion modification!

That’s right.  The Tacoma comes mow with a plastic air dam below the bumper.  I see it as useless and it is possible that when there are high curbs that your tires stop on, when you back up the dam can catch and pull, scrape and even dislodge.  I don’t need or want that problem out west catching it on a rock.  

Also if you get stuck in sand it makes it real hard to get the tow strap on the loop hole.  So, it’s removed and boxed away.

I do not notice and difference in MPG

That’s the tour of the changes on the outside for now

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment