Friday, February 7, 2020

Does Car Seat Warmer = Vandweller Bed Heater?


(Amazon screen capture)

My friends know I like to engineer solutions to problems.  I’m not always designing solutions as much as finding them.  This post is about testing a car seat heater for use as Vandwelling bed heat mat.

In March I head up into Utah with friends when at night it is in the 20’s at night and 50’s during the day.  If not colder at times.

I like being warm but will not run an open flame heater when I’m sleeping.  Since I often entertain friends in my FWC camper in the evening, I’ll have the heat on so it’s warm when I go to bed.  Along about 3:00 am I’ll otter wake to the need of putting a fleece blanket on top of my sleeping bag to stay warm until I get up and turn on the heater.

I have looked and looked over they years for a 12v electric solution to the creeping cold.  Most 12v electric blankets are too large for my bed.

Then I saw this $20 solution, above,  to try out.


(My bench bed in my FWC)

 My FWC Camper lower bed is 24” wide.  In fact, it’s  the same width of my Prius 60% rear side bed.

I also wanted to use the least amount of electricityfor all electrical appliances. This car seat warmerlooks like a good choice as it is narrow, so there is no heating elements overhanging the bed that looses heat to the compartment air.


(Ambient temperature is shown when you push the center power button)

My desires of a 12v electric blanket didn’t end there, as I wanted controls for the blanket that would set the exact temperature and automatically shut off..

This Eluto Heated seat cushion had it all.  I in addition to being narrow, It has auto shutoff (30, 60, and 90 minutes).  I can Also set the exact temperature I want.  I’m liking 100 deg F right now during my testing,

Unlike other 12v electric blankets that stay on the high, medium, or low setting, I get the exact temperature I want.  It is designed to be sat on so it’s durable to be placed under you so the heat isn’t lost to the air above you.  It warms you while in your bed. 


(Pushing the bottom button allows you to step through the 3 timer settings)

The timer is great to.  So far 30 minutes has been fine, since your body warms, after it shuts off by timer you stay warm for awhile.  I’ve found that although it is not full length, of my body it doesn’t matter as if my core is warm my arms and legs also warm.


(Showing it is set for 100 degrees - pushing the left button the temperature setting goes up / push the right button the temperature goes down)

Lastly, the thermostat knows when it has reached the set temperature and auto shuts off saving your 12 volt house battery from bein overdrawn.

So here is what it draws for amps.



There it is below 3,5 amps draw.  But wait, the thermostat turns off the heater current when the set temperature is reached.  The meter then switches to zero.

How much it’s on under you in bed will depend on what is below the heater.  I sleep on 2” of foam so there is not much heat loss below.  Most heat rises and if your body is in the bed you will absorb it.

I have not measured this variable as it will be different for everyone.

Worse case it will draw 3.5 amps per hour, but wait you may only use it to get warm so you set it at 30 minutes.  I figure I’m using about 1 amp an hour on average during my test in Quartzsite, AZ in early February.

I did test it at home in my easy chair under me watching TV while it was plugged into a 110v ton12v adapter and it was good there too.

My testing will go on through my travels in Utah, so I’ll have more to add later but my initial impression is positive.

Note: I have no affiliation with the company or distributor of the car seat heater, or Amazon.  I’m a consumer who often buys things and like to test them to share with others.

You must assess if you have sufficient 12v battery storage to use this car seat heater without depleting your house battery.  Overdrawing your house battery may damage it.  It is good to first understand if your battery can be fully charged the next day too.

Happy travels

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment