Friday, June 7, 2019

Replacing My Butane Torch



I’m not a chef, although I like to cook for my friends.  I don’t carry a butane torch to make dishes to serve by brazing the surface. At least not yet!

I carry a butane torch as a match.  With a one click igniter and focused flame my butane torch is great for starting campfires, igniting my Wave3 propane heater in my FWC camper. Also, it is great for soldering and shrink tubing.

My cheap butane torch to the right in the picture above (orange) broke and wouldn’t ignight the butane anymore.  I looked through Amazon and selected a replacement butane torch. (Left in picture above)

The new torch is safer with a secure off on the flow of butane.  The old one could and did leak butane with the knob on top not having a locking position.  The other safety feature is the trigger switch on the new one that has to be held in to continue to have a flame.  The old torch just had a flame with no trigger interlock.  You could set it down and walk away with the flame on.

Lastly, the new torch has a better flame regulator.  There is a slide on the side facing up in the picture that regulates the flame size.

Just a note that I know the Wave3 has a clicker to ignite the pilot flame but it usually requires a few clicks.  The butane torch only takes one click and I have a flame to start the pilot flame.

So, I find the butane torch useful and worth the space to carry it on my travels, and possibly someday I will make a dish for my friends having used the new torch.

Brent

Brenton MacAloney

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment