Sunday, June 16, 2019

How To Prepare For Ham Radio Technician Exam


I hope you are viewing this blog post from my last blog explaining the advantages of getting your Ham Radio Technician License as a Vandweller.

This is the second in a series of blog posts on vandwellers getting and using a Ham Radio Technician License.  This post focuses on preparing for the Technician Exam.

Passing the Technician Examgives you some privileges.  Although I would say it gives you the most popular, practical, and cost effective privileges.  You will be able to talk on the 2 meter and 70 centimeter bands or not commonly related as VHF in the 144 Mhz  nand and UHF in the 440 Mhz band.  These are the frequencies that most hams use.  If you wish to talk over long distances you will need to pass a higher exam too.

We each have unique learning characteristics.  I like to study for the test, since the test questions are known in this case.  The reason this works for me as I have a good amount of Ham Radio and Electronic knowledge, not requiring me to review information I already know..

You may not have the same background as me, but still wish to study to the test questions.  I only suggest in this case is to look up what you don’t know online so you understand the concepts.  I still needed to do this for my study method in a few cases.

I used the study flash cards

And

I used the practice exam

Both taught me what I needed to past the Technician Exam. 

Others may wish to read the book (above picture) first, and once done that then take the practice exams.  You can buy the manual or view it online.  Reading the book is how some of my friends studied.  We had discussions about my method vs theirs, and yes I admit I may not have learned something that would have been good to know, but not tested.  This is why I suggest the two methods of studying, so you can pick what works best for you.  Two my friends did well studying and passing the exam and I’m glad they did as I was hoping to have some friends so I could talk to them.

Online manual: (379 pages)

Paperback manual:
As of writing this blog - The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual is available on Amazon is refuced to $16.99.

There is another method for studying and passing the Technician Exam and that is to look for a Ham Radio club that offers a course during the day and Exam after.  This doesn’t fit with my style of learning as I feel rushed/pressured.

What I like is that you can study at your own pace.  When you are ready to take the exam, you just find a place where you will be and take the test for the maximum of $15.00.

That is all you need to do to study and pass.  If you have a photographic memory you will remember the questions and answers.  After awhile I didn’t worry about memorizing random things as I had seen the questions so many times I could tell the answer by what was offered on a., b., c., & d. for answers.  

It helped me having memorized the answer when math was needed.  I didn’t have to use a calculator as I just remembered the number in the answer.  I did go and learn how to calculate such answers for reference but the exam went easier this way.

In the next blog I will cover finding a test site near you and how to sign up.

Happy studying,

Brent

Brenton MacAloney

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment