Sunday, November 27, 2016

Installing The Prius Bed (Part 6 - Installing the protective covers)


Above i am ready to put the protective covers over the wiring.  Note that you can store some light, thin and soft items under the panels I put down.  You just need to be aware of the risk of damaging wires.  Soft things, including wires, etc., fit well in this space and stuff under nicely


My first protection is a cut corrugated plastic to protect the wires that cross the gap to the carpet such as the fuel pump wires.


This panel above is again the 1/2" plywood with a piece of plastic attached to stabilize it from rocking.  These floor panels sit on the metal bracing.  You can see this bracing above.  It is black and panels rest on top.  There is no mounting hardware.  Also note all the intricate angles and notches in the plywood.  When I originally designed this system it took me a long time of trial and error to get it right. 


Here is my 60% side protective panel is in place.  Notice the space on the end facing us for small things to be stored.  This is an easily accessible space.


Now for my 40% side protective panel with my fire extinguisher mounted to it.  Since I don't use this side for a bed I use it to sit on with a couple of cushions when I want privacy usually before I go to bed.

Removing the seats and making the platform opens up so much space over leaving the back seats in.  

In a few weeks I will take the next step and start installing the water tank and storage unit that goes above where I store my clothing. Although I have covered all these items in various blogs before I will group them together to make it easier for future visitors to see.  I will also be more comprehensive on what and how I do what I do as I did here.  

Much tanks to an avid reader of my blogs for getting me to blog this build series and provide details on all the pieces and how I did it.  I plan to be at the RTR in in Quartzsite, AZ with other Prius travelers starting January 10.  I am a member of CheapRVLiving.com where you can find details on the event and join and learn about how others modify vehicles to travel in.

A shout out to others that have asked for a greater YouTube presence from me.  This series of blogs on how I build my Prius bed system is an excellent example of a good YouTube upload.  I find it hard to do videos in such a small space as a Prius and I need someone to run a camera while I do my thing.  Hopefully in the future I can make it happen.

Until next time safe travels everyone.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! This is way more complete than I dreamed you would share. I enjoy your blog very much, well written and photographed. Videos would be cool. Thanks again Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, labor intensive converting the Prius for camping ( neat ! ) & labor intensive explaining with pictures & words as well !
      Great job !!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, yes it is labor intensive, especially blogging about it. The labor that went into the design and build is well worth it in satisfaction for minimalist living in a Prius.

      The space utilization makes the travel experience much nicer.

      Brent

      Delete
  2. You should look at the Prius V, the seats are so much easier to take out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      A Prius V does offer some advantages that I have discussed offline with another follower. From what I understand there is some small increases in interior height and width. I was unaware of the rear seat removal. Many find the increased volume in the rear as being helpful. The increased space isn't helpful for me unless I would be able to fill the space. Since I like keeping my rear view open when driving I don't wish to fill the space.

      The one thing I wish I had is a roof vent to open or leave cracked during the day.

      Thanks for pointing out the rear seat difference.

      Brent

      Delete
  3. I have been thinking of a vent fan solution. you could cut a slot into your plastic window screens (with the insert in) at the top and fit a fan like this http://www.evercoolusa.com/?p=1956 low power use and fair cfm's and may pull some of moisture from breath out of the car for less condensation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,

      I had not seen this rack cooler before but the concept you suggest is interesting.

      I have looked at the window exhaust systems that fit in the top window space when the window is up. I should buy one to evaluate sometime. I love the engineering of problems!

      Making my own exhaust in the window as you suggest is not a consideration now than my last two years as I have my new LiFePo4 house battery with plenty of power to run fridge and this fan.

      The specs are good

      BALL BEARING TURBINE FAN
      111X89X21MM
      42CFM
      12V,150mA, 1.8W
      MTBF-50,000 hours
      Speed-3200 rpm

      On cheaprvliving.com there has been discussion to put a fan on the condenser fins on compressor fridge. They have taken fans off Amazon and fitted them to their fridges to perform better when vehicles are hotter. This rack fan may be an option here too.

      Thanks for the suggestion.

      Brent

      Delete
  4. My thought was to make a mount for the top of the window but you already have your screens. Another option would be to mount it with Velcro to your head liner and have tubing run outside through the window like a bath vent fan. Happy holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brent! Just wanted to chime and and tell you how much I would enjoy a YouTube channel from you! I hope you can find a way to work it out. Thanks for sharing your life with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy,

      I appreciate the value of making YouTube videos to assist in clarifying what I do write.

      It is something I will work on although I'll be a bit self conscious about doing any.

      Brent

      Delete