Sunday, February 13, 2022

Horse Tanks Hike - Kofa WMA

Kofa Wildlife Management Area offers hikes and exploring possibilities.  This year I got to hike to the Horse Tanks.  These are natural waterholes that nature has carved out and we’re used by animals and Native Americans for centuries.  These are water holes that form as part of cascading water down from the mountains.


Above is my 7.2 mile hike as saved on the AllTrails App.

Most of the hike was on a dirt road that I could have taken my Tacoma down, but I needed the exercise to get into shape for more hikes this season.



The scenery along the way is pleasant and not steep, although you continue to gain elevation.  The peaks in the middle of my hike (recorded above) come from scrambling up in a few places.



The water comes down the mountain in this crack in the picture above.



Further down it forms these natural ponds.



There are numerous signs of human activity including dozens of grinding holes in the rock bottom of the wash.



If you search and look closely you can find old petroglyphs and new graffiti.

There are other things to find and see that most don’t know what and where to look.  As with all my hikes.  I hope you get to learn how to explore and learn and respect what the ancient’s have left us.

Happy hiking,

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment