Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The Prius Comes Out For A Trip



From time to time I get an opportunity to use my Prius for travel.  This recently happened when I decided to see my aunt that is not feeling well in Chicago. This answers the question I get from time to time if I still have my Prius and if so do I travel with it.

I see my aunt each year on my return trip from the southwest, but with her being ill and having a birthday, I decided to drive to see her from my home in MA.  What better vehicle to take than my Prius when the gasoline prices were peaking in early December.

It’s about 1100 miles from home to Chicago, so I planned an overnight around half way in both directions.  The halfway point is around the Ohio and Pennsylvania border. 

My Prius was not fully packed, the way I did for winter travels.  No fridge and cooking supplies.  I did have my curtains installed and brought basic items.  My plan was to do takeout meals and visit and eat with aunt once a day.

On the way out to Chicago my son of the same name gave me a rest area location he used in the area where I80 and I90 meet.  I took I80 due to up state New York lake effect snow.

I parked off to the side in the rest area pulled my curtains and set Prius to low heat I’m ready mode and slept comfortably fir the night although it was only 20 degrees outside.  You’ve got yo love the Prius fir this comfort.



Google photo

The same son recommended I stop in Elkhart, IN to see the RV Hall of Fame and Museum, just off the highway.  I took my son up on his suggestion and stopped for awhile a tour the excellent collection of vintage RV’s.



Above is only a sample of vandwelling roots.



The picture above shows the museum layout with an inside walking road lined with many vintage trailers and motorized campers.  

It was $10 for me as a senior to get in, but very much worth it to me.  Plan on spending a couple hours visiting each camper and going inside the ones open for viewing

At my aunt’s I usually driveway surf with my Prius, but I didn’t want her concerned about me so I stayed a few miles away in a hotel room.  I visited her for 3 data and headed home happy to have visited.

The way home brought me the same route as I took out.  This time I stayed overnight at a truck stop in western PA near the OH border.  Again it was 20 degrees and slept great.

I could have driven further that night feeling very rested but don’t like driving at night in PA due to deer.  A deer strike could total mu prius.  Even a dead deer in the road that sone Tractor Trailer killed could cause major damage or cause me to loose control.  Safer first!

The next day I was home from my mini road trip. My Prius only has 120,000 miles so it has a lot more life for future adventures.

Brent
macaloney@hotmail.com

P.S.
To: Russell D
This answers your question if I still have my Prius

To: All
Russell and I both have Prius’s and Four Wheel pop up campers for our travels

No comments:

Post a Comment